Monday, October 8, 2007

Mom has a big butt ...

“Mom, you have a big butt…” that was the announcement from my 2 year old this evening. Isn’t she just PRECIOUS???!!!

She had followed me into the bathroom … that’s something about being a Mom that no one ever tells you … once they can move and follow you …you will never take a shower or teetle alone again. Oh yeah, you can lock the door before they get in, but then you have to deal with the scratching and whining at the door … “Moooom, I need ….”

That’s how all sentences start, “Mom, I need …” It’s seared into your brain. Why couldn’t they start with “Darling, hard working, thin, adorable mother, if you wouldn’t mind …?” I might not say No so often.

Anyway, I digress, Precious had followed me into the bathroom and I had let her. Partially because she is my last one in diapers and at 2 ½ I’m soooo ready for her to be out of them (maybe she’ll get the idea this time, I think) and partially because I just didn’t want to deal with the knocking at the door the whole time. She proceeds to walk around me, look me up and down and announced her assessment of my shape. Maybe I’ll start that exercise program tomorrow.

Precious is physically ready to stop wearing diapers but being the youngest she is trying to hold on to babyhood for as long as she can. I, on the other hand, am ready for it to be over. I did the math the other day – because that’s what I do when I’m bored -math, I’m geek. I know, it’s ok - we have been buying diapers for almost 13 years straight – never had a break between any of the kids, as none of my children were early potty trainers. At some points I even had two in diapers. Thirteen years, do you know how much money that is??? If you figure an average price for diapers of $15 dollars a week (that accounts for buying in bulk and on sale) it's $10,140.00 dollars. Kind of scary when you think of it that way, isn’t it? Anyway, I started doing the math the other day not just because I’m a geek, but because one of my co-workers was lamenting how he had been buying diapers for six years and was so excited that his youngest started going potty this past weekend. Could I even relate? I’ve been buying diapers for over a decade, I’m not sure I can picture an end … but I can dream can’t I???

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I can sure relate! My kids say they are getting fat like me when their tummies are full. Never mind the fact that they are small for their ages. My children all have my husband's high metabolism. I really wish they would share.
I have also been married for 13 years. I have six children. The youngest will be three in Dec. He is getting closer to being potty trained but we're still working on it. I also have two others who have nighttime accidents. So, those two wear a diaper at night. I actually had three in diapers at one time. I just lined them up for their changes.