Monday, October 22, 2007

How about we have Lobster then?

Before you read the dialog below, let me explain the we live in Maryland where steamed crabs are a common meal during the summer.

Imp: "Mom, when are we going to have crabs for dinner again?"
Mom: "Not till next summer. They're out of season now."
Imp: "Well how about we have lobster? I've seen people eat them."
Mom: "I'll ask Daddy about that."

Later after the children are in bed, I gave my husband a call at work:

Mom: " So the Imp asked when were going to have crabs again."
Dad: "They're out of season. We can't any decent ones till next summer."
Mom: "I know. I told him that, but he had a suggestion of something else for dinner."
Dad: "What?"
Mom: "Lobster"
Dad: "Where'd he get that idea?" Laughing
Mom: "I don't know, but he said he has seen people eat them."
Dad: "Well, did he specify if he wanted lobster tail or whole main?" (Always the Chef)
Mom: "No, but he said he's seen people eat them."
Dad: "Maybe I'll bring some shrimp home. We haven't had shrimp in a while"
Mom: "Maybe you can explain to the Imp that they are like mini-lobsters."
Dad: "Yeah, that'll work." Snickering.

I think I need to explain the cost of feeding 7 people and that lobster just isn't practical for dinner for everyone...

2 comments:

Rick said...

How about feeding him catfish and tell him it's Inland Lobster."

We tried to get our girls to eat more fish one time, but we knew that they would balk at the idea of eating it. So we told them it was Alaskan white meat. They didn't buy it and haven't forgiven us since.

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

Kellan said...

That was so funny. I have 4 kids and I can understand your anxiety! I do love lobster though. I love shrimp too and crab. Now I want all three. Would be nice to live so close to such good seafood like you do - lucky you. See ya.