Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Only groceries ….

So here is the conversation my hubby and I had today:

Hubby: “We need to be more careful with our money.”
Me: “That’s always good, but we’ve been pretty good. The only debt we now have is the House and the Car. We’ve paid everything else off.”
Hubby: “I know, but we waste too much money. No extras for a while. You can only by groceries for a month.”

Notice how it went from we to you?? Is he insuating I have a spending problem? Just becasue I just bought about a weeks worth of new colorful clothes?

Are you now asking yourself how a family with 5 children wastes money? The answer is we don’t really. Since hubby is a chef we rarely eat out (a complaint on my part - I want a date!!!! See previous posts). The kids are trained that they only get presents for their birthdays and holiday. I am a big gadget person but just bought my first iPod about a month ago. Can you believe it? They were threatening to take away my geek card at work. The iPod was bought for him for father’s day, although I’m the one who plays it. That worked out well huh?

This conversation all started because since we bought the new sofa set for the family room (at IKEA – nothing expensive or fancy for our house – and they’re washable!!!), I’ve decided that the old curtains look kind of blah and want new ones. I talking $30 dollar a set curtains – not custom made, but hubby has decided I have spent enough lately.

He says he likes our dull tan Target curtains, but I am now on a color mission. I must introduce colors other than green and beige into my life!

Does he not understand that?????

Other than the sofas, some colorful clothes and a father's present I haven't bought anything beyond necessaties in months. Oh and the fireworks for 4th of July (from Costco), oh and those cute dresses for the girls and the Lego Indiana Jones game I traded Son #2 for his Best buy gift cards he had gotten for his birthday and the new vinyl table clothes for the picnic tables and the new awning for the porch and probably a few other things I'm forgetting .... hmmm, maybe Hubby has a point?

Darn it, it really sucks to be married to someone who not only thinks he's always right but actually is! How does he do that?

No comments: