Monday, July 7, 2008

Fashion Challenged

Hello - sorry I've been away for a while. Life just got in the way of blogging, but things seem to have calmed down a bit, so I'll try to be more consistent.

So, I was informed by a coworker a few weeks ago that while I am not a fashion disaster or an example of what not to wear - my wardrobe is boring. Apparently, I wear the same 4 colors all the time. Who knew?

Actually, I believe the quote was “Your daughter could draw your entire wardrobe using the 4 pack of crayons that they give out at TGI Fridays…”

It was also suggested that I might want to think about adding patterns to my repertoire. Apparently one pair of window pane pants does not count (too subtle – I’m told) .

This is not the first time a coworker has commented on my wardrobe. About a year before this another coworker walked up to me on St. Patrick’s Day and said, “So this is just like any other day for you and your green clothes, huh?”

This is a tough love group.

What’s really sad about this is I did not realize how much green I owned and wore until I went home that night and looked. I really do own a lot of green. You know how some people own a lot of black? Well, for me that color is green. I mean I own a lot of green. I could wear green for about two weeks straight and not repeat the same outfit. Kind of reminds you of the blob, huh?

I was telling a member of my team about the green comment and she started laughing out loud. I mean almost falling out of her chair laughing. This woman works for me, could she be laughing at me????

For those who don’t know me – I don’t find people laughing at me offensive – I do a lot of really silly, klutzy stuff. I am one of those people who can trip over their own feet – I just want to be in on the joke, darn it.

She then proceeded to tell me the following (paraphrased of course):

C: “Remember last summer when my daughter was working part time for the Operations team?”
Me: “Yes”
C: “One day after she had been here for a few weeks she came over and asked me a question about you.”
Me: “Yes – what did she ask?”
C: almost in tears laughing at this point: “What’s the deal with your boss and green? You know, I’ve always wondered if you realized how much you wore it.”
Me: “Well no, I didn’t till someone pointed it out. That’s really sad isn’t it?”

So, really if you think about it 4 colors is a step up for me. See I can learn.

I will, however; continue to buy the same shirt or pants just in different colors. If I find something I like and it fits well I’ll buy in every color I can – but no more green. I’m on the green wagon.

Do stripes count as a pattern? Help!

1 comment:

emily said...

Personally? I haven't noticed and think you always look great. And the new laptop bag is FABULOUS!