Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Studying makes him forget things

Son #1(now known as The Boy) is a Freshman in high school. In Maryland, students have to take a series of High School Assessments (HSAs) in order to graduate. His Biology and Government HSAs are next week. The Biology teacher e-mailed out a study guide today, which I printed out and gave to The Boy to use to study. You know what The Boy had the nerve to say to me??

"You realize all this studying is not helping, right? I had better grades when I wasn't studying. Everyone says is a known fact that studying too much makes you forget things."

Seriously?????!!!!! Does he really think I'm going to look at him and say 'Really, well since you put it that way and EVERYONE (who is also 14 and whose parents are also chanting "Do not Kill The Boy") says so, just forget about the study guide and go play on the Wii?' Well, I didn't have time to respond because the next words out of his mouth were:

"Yeah, see I had a 2.7 GPA in the beginning of the year and now since you guys have been making me study all the time I have a 2.1."

REALLY?????? A GPA of 2.7 is really supposed to make me feel better??? Is this child daft???!!!!! Has he not been paying attention to what we've been saying since we got his first interim report this year???? Oh wait, with these grades maybe he is.

I don't get it. This is the kid who was an A/B student last year. He took the Algebra HSA in eighth grade and scored in the ninety-third percentile. He took the PSATs early in October and scored in the fifty-fifth percentile of all students who took the test, so, he scored better than half the kids who took the test - most of whom are a year ahead of him in school. The Boy can't fool us - he's smart. He's d$mn smart. He apparently just has no sense.

Needless to say, he is sitting here reviewing the Study guide now - while huffing, puffing, sighing and fidgeting around.

Repeat after me "Must not kill The Boy, Must not kill The Boy, Must not kill The Boy."

No comments: