Monday, March 10, 2008

I’d like to see you before I die …

That’s the line I got from my Grandmother Friday night; like I don’t have enough pressure on my time. Between a full time job (in the middle of multiple production releases and a boss that just told me to go home, kiss my family and tell them I’ll see them after April 25th), a husband, children, parents, a brother who has a new baby, grandmothers, in-laws, aunts, uncles and friends; my grandmother has decided that she needs to explain that I need to come see her before she dies. At this point I should note that she is in very good health and will probably out live us all, so don’t think I’m so crass as to ignore a family member who is truly ill and in need of support.

I should also explain that I live about 500 miles away, so getting to out to see her is not a quick trip. It’s a 12 – 14 hour drive with children in tow (9 if I drive alone) or an hour and a half plane flight (not a cheap option for 7 people). I invited Grandma to come to visit us multiple times (my treat), but she’s not interested. She won’t say it to me, but the issue is my kids are too loud. She’s 80 years old. I get that the noise level in my house can be overwhelming if you’re not used to it. I’ve offered to put her up in a near by hotel – but no -- she wants me to come to her.

My in-laws have the same mentality. We’re older so you should come to visit us rather than us come to you. And I get it I really do – but if the point is you really want to spend time with me or my family then you are going to get a lot more of my time and attention if you come to me.

First of all, I won’t be sitting in your house wondering about the thirty things sitting at my house waiting to get done. I can talk with you and start the dishwasher at the same time. Secondly, I don’t have to chase children around screaming “Stop touching that. That’s not a toy. That’s breakable – Stop it.” It’s my house – everything is already destroyed.

Oh, well, you do what you can … make note to go see Grandmother before she dies … Guess going to the beach for spring break is out and out rude now ...

No comments: