Tuesday, January 8, 2008

When did you start dating Mom?

“How old were you when you starting dating Mom?” That is the question Son #1 asked me tonight. He’s going to 13 this summer so I guess it was only a matter of time before this all came up.

“Oh, I was in high school before I started dating.” Whew, just bought myself a couple years, right? WRONG!

Son #1: “Well can you believe some of the kids in my school go on dates?”
Me: “Really? Like in groups with their families?” We’re talking about 12 and 13 year olds here.
Son #1: “Well, Friend A and Friend B go bowling a lot.”
Son #2: “Some of the boys in my class have girlfriends.” Son # 2 is 10 and in 5th Grade.
Me: “Really? Do you?” I couldn’t stop myself.
Son #2: “No! Girls are gross Mom!”
Me: “Is there a girl who seems to like you?”
Son #2: “I dunno.” Good, this one is still clueless.
Son #1: “There’s a girl at school who follows me around. She knows my whole schedule and everything.”

Oh, great, my 12 year old has a stalker.

Ok, overacting, I just need to breathe.

Deep breath.

Me: “Well, do you think she’s special?”
Son #1: “Ewwww, no Mom! She creeps me out.”

Oh, Great, it is a little stalker. Breathe, just keep breathing.

There is something about the way he said that I’m not quite sure he’s being straight with me. Just as I was about to ask some follow up questions the two of them decide it’s better to go play on the Wii than continue this conversation with their Mother. Well at least the topic came up and my oldest was comfortable enough to ask questions of his mother. I don’t know if I’m ready for what lays ahead.

No comments: